This will be a shorty but a goody. Today, I unpacked the first box and loaded some of my china into the glass-fronted china cabinet in the kitchen. I had the cabinet guys line up my cabinet shelves with the grid on the glass door, but then I realized that the shelves had no routered groove for my china plates the way my old wooden hutch had. I started thinking about how I would support those plates, and I came up with an idea that I ran by the cabinet guys. I got the okay, yeah, that would work, so I did it today.
First, I cleaned the shelves with some ammonia-based glass cleaner to get off any dust or grease or anything that might keep the silicone from sticking to the shelf. Then, I got out the big plate that needed to be supported and measured where I wanted the edge of the plate to rest and marked that spot with a pencil. Then I used a ruler to measure for a line all the way across the shelf. After that, I got out the smaller plates that needed to be supported, and I did the same, marked and measured and drew a line. I determined that I only needed two different support lines, but I could have put in as many as I wanted.
Then I got a tube of clear silicone sealer, and I ran a bead of silicone all the way along the shelf, starting with the line furthest from me, closest to the back of the cabinet. I ran the second bead, closer to me, along the shelf as well. I went slowly and made sure I had a good, thick bead of sealer laid down. I went back and filled in any spots that looked a little thin. Then I left the cabinet doors open and waited two hours, until the silicone sealer had set up firmly and was transparent.
When I thought the sealer was dry, I tested the strength of the silicone lines with my finger to see if they had actually adhered to the shelf. They had, so I placed the plate and watched to see if the weight of it was going to dislodge the silicone bead. It didn’t. I left the plate in place, put in a couple more plates, and then filled the shelf. I put a large teapot in front of the big plate, just in case it did dislodge the silicone line. I don’t think it will, but I thought “better safe than sorry.”
The silicone dried clear, nearly transparent, and is invisible with the shelf full. I’m pretty happy with how that little project turned out.
That’s it! That’s my neat little trick that requires no power tools to make a plate groove out of any shelf. All you need is a pencil, a ruler or tape measure, and a tube of clear silicone sealer. Now go out and stand up those plates!
2 thoughts on “A Neat Little Trick”